November 29, 2010

"Invitation to Interview"

Never before in my life have those words meant so much to myself or Kenny.
The month of November has been a blur. For several reasons. We've been busy with our day to day activities, the days are getting shorter and we had a Thanksgiving holiday to celebrate. But possibly the biggest reason: we've been trying to schedule Kenny's residency interviews as they come in and prepare for what the next two months will bring. This is craziness. To all of our friends who have already gone through the gauntlet of email checking obsession, interview scheduling and rescheduling, appropriate apparel shopping, travel arrangement making and program information gathering...YOU NEVER SAID IT WOULD BE LIKE THIS!! Don't get us wrong-these are some excellent problems to be having and we are grateful for every last one of them, but WOWEE. Today we said goodbye to Kenny as he headed off for the next 4 days with 5 interviews to do, hoping that he'll be home Friday night so we'll get a few hours together before the kids and I board a plane and fly to Utah for the rest of the month on Saturday. I'm so glad that he suggested months ago that we spend the time with our parents in December and January because heaven knows we're not going to be seeing a lot of him. Funny that they call these interview months "vacation months" in Med school-because I'm pretty sure they are going to be some of his most exhausting ones! On a side note, as I read through this I hope I don't come off as being boastful about our 'situation'. When you're in the thick of interview season it does feel kind of taboo to talk about how many interviews you are getting etc. But you know, we've worked and sacrificed for the past 3.5 years to get to this point and I guess in a way we just want to enjoy the chaos and hope that in the end we'll match with the best program and location that we have ranked. We definitely are hoping that for all of our friends here in the same situation! Here's to interview season...good luck to us all! May all of the $$$ that we are spending come back to us somehow in the end!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Amen!

Unknown said...

okay, you briefly said you're going to Utah! Yeah! I'll have to talk to you later about times, but we need to hang out when I get up there.
Have a safe trip, and don't go too crazy :)

Unknown said...

AMEN!! Good luck, Kenny and Echo! I know this has been a crazy couple of months as Brent's been rotating away from home hoping to impress the socks off of program directors around the country. Can't wait until match time is over and we can continue planning the next part of our lives! Good luck!

Jocelyn Pehrson said...

Knowing Kenny, you guys will get exactly what you want. I wish all of you a wonderful couple of months and hope it isn't too stressful. We will be doing the same thing next year, so it's some good info to prepare me for what's to come.