October 21, 2010

Our first camping trip in Wisconsin!

Which is really quite sad when we think about it. We've been meaning to go camping at least twice each season...and it's never happened until Kenny pretty much forced us to on Friday, October 9th. He'd been suggesting it all week and I just had too many other things that had to be taken care of before I could even commit to getting us packed up and ready to go camping. So I guess he just got tired of all of my excuses because the night before he announced that he would have us all ready to go by the 2:00 PM Friday, and to my disbelief he did! We were headed out the door to pick Nolan up from preschool, hit the kids well child checkups and then onto Camp Maude in the Kettle Moraine National Forest.

I'm so glad he did to, because it was beautiful. Nice warm weather, beautiful camp site, yummy brats and s'mores roasted on the fire, and it was Audrey's first experience with an actual campfire! I don't have much to say that was nice about the night's sleeping events, migraine on my part, plus multiple vaccinations on the kids part equaled all of us very thankful for the one little bottle of infant motrin that I had remembered to pack in my makeup case. But it was nice being snuggled up in a giant pile of blankets and sleeping bags, and I did watch a lot of stars moving by all night.

We didn't take many pictures of the actual camping site-just too busy trying to set up camp, get our dinner made and us all tucked in to bed I guess. I do wish that I would have taken a photo of the yummy breakfast spread that Kenny provided: 1lb bacon, fried eggs, pancakes and some fancy O.J.-definitely not a breakfast that we normally indulge in-but quite tasty when you're camping!
The next day was gorgeous too. We played at the playground, took a walk along the lake and then later took a nature hike that ended up providing myself and the kids with a nice little sunburn on our faces.
If nothing else, the little overnight camp trip provided some much needed Daddy time for the kids and if a night of little sleep and some some firewood bark left over in the car is what we've got to do to enjoy it...we'll take it!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are some precious pictures of the kids. It's so fun to do last second trips like that. I know what you mean about being busy though, I think I'm having the same problem doing anything out of the norm. Good for Kenny for taking the initiative. It looks like fun.
And Autumn there is gorgeous.

Karisa and John said...

Oh wow, I can tell Kenny is DEFINITELY in his element! What a great memory you guys made! You (well, Kenny) picked the nicest weekend to go-- it was so warm and beautiful.

Jocelyn Pehrson said...

Hey, that is the same place that me and Cody and my mom went camping summer of 2009. I was pretty pregnant, it was humid and hot and quite the different experience form yours. I am glad you enjoyed it though, camping can really be a fun family outing.

Unknown said...

We've been talking about camping a lot, too. It just never seems to happen. So glad the kids got quality dad time...it's so hard to come by!